Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Secondhand Opinion: The Order 1886


"Gears of Yore"
"The Order 1886" was a game I was hoping would be good. I'm a big fan of alternate history fiction, and the idea of exploring a Victorian England inhabited by supernatural creatures like werewolves and vampires and fighting them with crazy steampunk weapons sounded awesome. Sadly, it would seem that the The Order 1886 is yet another next generation title that has disappointed. It currently sits at 65 on Metacritic and is considered by many critics to be Sony's attempt to copycat of Microsoft's "Gears of War" franchise. From what I have seen from Let's Plays that assertion is most certainly correct. The gameplay is literally just another third person shooter with absolutely nothing setting it apart and on top of that it is loaded with Quicktime Events of the worse kind. It is also a game that wants desperately evoke a cinematic style at the cost of making the actual game feel good to play. The game looks great with some rather fantastic art direction and amazing graphics, but it simply doesn't look fun to play through. If the story the game telling was at the very least interesting I might have still considered picking it up when the price drops, but the general consensus I have been hearing is that the story is basically a set up for a sequel and that was the final nail in the coffin for me. I just want one game that can stand on its own two feet without having to wait for a sequel that will fix all the problems. I wanted this game to be good, but I guess I shouldn't be that upset about it. After all, "Bloodborne" is coming out at the end of March, so all "The Order 1886" did was just end up saving me money for what looks like a much better game. Let's just hope that "Bloodborne" will be good and not another disappointment to add to the pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment