Friday, April 17, 2015

YouTube Channel: This Game Sucks: Metroid Other M




This was my senior project that I did for college. While I still stand by a lot of what I say in this video, a few of my opinions have changed. Primarily I think I focused a little too much on the male gaze cinematography. While I feel that it is shameless and immature on Team Ninja's part to focus on  objectifying Samus's body which juxtaposes poorly with the narrative's focus as treating her as a human being (which ironically fails miserably on its own). However, I feel that in the hands of someone that knew what they were doing they could have explored Samus's character using sexuality to express what kind of person she is. They could had something like a naked shower scene showing he looking uncomfortable and maybe a little bit scared. It would shown that while she is more than capable of fighting giant alien monsters from beyond time and space, she is very afraid of opening herself up to other human beings. It would be even more powerful if they didn't have Samus narrate every little thing going through her head. Just let the audience figure things out for themselves. Other then that my opinion is pretty much the same. So I hope you enjoy me ripping this game to pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment