Monday, December 28, 2015

The Gaming Lycanthrope's Top Games of 2015

So 2015 was a pretty great year for video games for both games from big budget developers and small independent studios. We got great games ranging from mechanically complex action games to intimate interactive narrative experiences. There were so many great games that came out this year that I don’t think I’ve even played a fraction of them, but I still want to talk about the best games I played this year. So here are my top games that I played this year. Let’s start with some honorable mentions.

Honorable Mentions

Batman Arkham Knight

I’m a huge fan of the Batman Arkham series and this one is no exception. It was a fantastic experience that delivered what I personally thought was a great end to the Batman Arkham series and refined the gameplay to an almost mirror shine. However, Batman Arkham Knight fails to place anywhere on my actual list for three major reason. Reason one is the overabundance of Batmobile sections that really started to wear out it welcome towards the end of the game. Reason two is the absolutely ludicrous amounts of DLC that Warner Bros. has made for this game just feels sleazy especially with most of it being little bonus stuff that was ripped out of the main game to make an extra buck. But the third and most important reason it’s not on my actual list is the fact that the PC port is an abomination. I played the PS4 version so I was thankfully spared the massive number of technical issues that plagued the PC version, but the fact that Warner Bros. thought they could release a game that poorly optimized in 2015 is unforgivable. Still I enjoyed the game enough to at least recommend it. Just wait for the inevitable game of the year edition that comes with all of the content. Like I probably should have done.

Broken Age

I grew playing a lot of point and click adventure games particularly the Monkey Island series so I was very excited when I discovered that Double Fine had Kickstarted a whole new adventure game. While there is no denying the development woes that plagued Broken Age which resulted in it being split into two parts the first part was so good that I was sure that it would be worth the wait. Sadly part two didn’t really deliver on the promise of part one. It wasn’t bad, but it felt extremely underwhelming after it was all said and done. Which is why in spite of how much I enjoyed it Broken Age only gets a honorable mention.

Life Is Strange

In a world where most games are about saving the world or surviving the apocalypse it’s just nice to play a game that is a little more down to earth. Granted it still is a little out there with the main character being a teenage girl that suddenly out of nowhere gains the ability to rewind time, but still it’s nice playing as someone that feels like a regular person that has been thrust into an extraordinary situation. However, I can’t deny that some of the writing isn’t very good at times and the ending also isn’t very good as far as I’m concerned which is why Life is Strange only gets an honorable mention.

Star Wars Battlefront

I’m not usually a big fan of multiplayer shooters, but I love Star Wars and it was a great injection of pure Star Wars nostalgia before I went to go see the new movie. However, I should point out that I’ve never played the original Star Wars Battlefront games and general consensus is that it’s the this reboot is a major downgrade that lacks even half the content featured in the original Battlefront games. I guess that EA is just waiting to sell us the rest of the game as DLC. So Star Wars Battlefront only gets an honorable mention. Now that honorable mentions are out of the way it’s time to get to my top five games of 2015.

My Top Games of 2015

5. Apotheon
I’m a huge fan of Metriodvania games. I’m also very interested in greek mythology. Apotheon is the best of both worlds letting us explore a beautifully presented 2D representation of Mount Olympus as you play as a lone villager trying to steal the power of the gods to save the world from their indifference. Unlike most games that have influences of Greek Mythology like God of War, Apotheon goes out of its way to be as accurate to the old greek myths as possible and making interactions that would make sense with each Greek God like having a drinking contest with Dionysus or engaging in a hunt with Artemis. So great job Alientrap I can’t wait to play more games from you guys.

4. SOMA

The guys behind Amnesia: The Dark Descent, one of the scariest games of all time, have done it again. I’m personally glad that Frictional Games didn’t just try and make the same game again with a new coat of paint. Instead of making a traditional horror game they decided to make an interactive science fiction story dealing with themes of consciousness and what it means to be human in a way only a videogame can properly convey. Interactive narratives often get a lot of flack from gamers for their ironic lack of interaction, but Frictional Games went out of their way to make their game worlds as interactive as possible and SOMA is no exception. It also helps that SOMA is still as terrifying as Amnesia: The Dark Descent in spite of its admittedly simplified mechanics with some of the most terrifying moments set pieces I’ve ever experienced in a game.I don’t want to say anything more because if you haven’t played SOMA yet I don’t want to spoil it. Well done Frictional Games for making a fantastic thinking man’s horror game.

3. Fallout 4

Well who couldn’t see this game coming. Fallout 4 is a massive game with tons of stuff to do in it. Combat and Looting have been massively improved since Fallout 3 and New Vegas and the new crafting system is absolutely amazing. I have poured hours upon hours crafting new weapons and armor and building entire settlements. I’ve played over fifty hours and I still feel like I have barely scratched the surface of this game. The only real complaint I have with the game is the new dialogue that severely limits player expression and I while I appreciate the effort that went into giving us a voiced protagonist I hope they go back to a silent protagonist in the next Fallout game to allow for better role playing. Still I’m really enjoying Fallout 4 and Bethesda should be proud of their hard work.

2. Undertale

When I first started hearing all the buzz about Undertale I was very skeptical and when I saw actual gameplay it didn’t look all that spectacular. So after months of having my twitter and Tumblr feeds being nothing, but Undertale I finally decided to play it and I boy was I wrong. It is without a doubt one of the best games of the year, but I can’t really talk about why without spoiling what it is about. The best spoiler free description of the game is imagine Earthbound meets Shin Megami Tensei meets The Stanley Parable. It a game that takes your preconceived notions of what you think it will be and goes on to subvert every single one. It is also extremely replayable, but again I can’t spoil exactly why. It's a great game and you should probably. But Undertale is fantastic and I’m definitely going to be checking out creator Toby Fox’s other work. The hype may hurt your appreciation of Undertale, but it is a great game regardless and well deserving of a place on my list.

1. Bloodborne

While Undertale is undoubtedly more original, intimate experience probably more deserving of the number one spot this is my list and the game I enjoyed the most this year was without a doubt Bloodborne. Bloodborne was my first dive into the Souls series of game directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki (I’m probably saying his name wrong) and now I can see why people love these games so much. It was just so refreshing to play a game that did not hold my hand in the slightest, but at the same time subtly encouraged me to power through it and conquer all it could throw at me. I just love everything about this game. I love the gothic horror setting, the fast paced strategic combat, and out of this world weapon and monster designs. The few major faults I had with Bloodborne such as the long loading times and the grinding of chalice dungeons have long since been patched. Plus, The Old Hunters expansion have added a whole bunch of new areas, weapons, and tools that make an already fantastic game even better. I just love this game so much. From Software and Miyazaki should be proud of themselves for making such an amazing game and I can’t wait to play their next game Dark Souls 3 next year. So Bloodborne it’s awesome, I love it and you should go check it out if you can.

Well those we my favorite games I played this year. 2015 was a fantastic year for video games and 2016 is looking to be an equally fantastic year for video games. I’m definitely going to be uploading much more content next year and be working on far more ambitious projects. A huge thanks to everyone that has supported me from the beginning. Things are going to be much more active next year both on my blog and on my YouTube channel. I'll see you guys next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment