Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Secondhand Opinions: Volume

A very British stealth game.
My last secondhand opinions was about Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, a very British interactive narrative set in the British countryside, and made by British developers and now I talking about Volume which is another very British game, set in Britain, and made by British developers. But rather than being an extremely depressing exploration of humanity's desperate desire for connection conflicting with our inability to truly understand one another, Volume doesn't make want to kill yourself out of despair after playing it. Volume is a puzzle stealth game developed by Mike Bithell who had previously made the critically acclaimed Thomas Was Alone. Volume is set in a dystopian Britain ruled over by the vile Gisborne Industries. You play as Robert Locksley, a young man that has gotten his hands on a mysterious VR training program called Volume which is somehow connected to Gisborne Industries takeover of the country. Together with the programs training AI Alan, Locksley streams his progress through the simulations on the internet in an attempt to spark a revolution against Gisborne Industries and the corporatocracy it has set in place. I have not played Volume yet and I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but what I do know is that the story of Volume is meant to be a modern take on Robin Hood. Early reviews have stated that while the story is very good overall it doesn't met its full potential. Mechanically the game is a twist on Metal Gear Solid style stealth while less of a focus of getting to point a to point b and a greater focus on mastering levels by memorizing enemy movement patterns and behaviors. I honestly can't wait to get my hands on this game and aside from the story being not everything that it could be I've been hearing nothing but good things. Check it out if you can because I know I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment